Dictionaries and Lexicons
- Alpha Dictionary Language Directory – Links to online dictionaries in nearly 300 languages and dialects.
- DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms – The DOD Dictionary and the Joint Acronyms and Abbreviations master data base are managed by the Joint Doctrine Division, J-7, Joint Staff. All approved joint definitions are contained in Joint Publication 1-02, “DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms.
- Homeland Security Digital Library Lexicons and Dictionaries – Find the definitions of key terms and phrases in various disciplines within homeland security.
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus – Free access to an online version of this standard college dictionary with definitions, sample sentences and audio pronunciation for words. The site also includes word games, which change often, and a thesaurus.
- Roget’s International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases – Peter Roget’s classic structure coupled with Mawson’s modernization becomes even more user-friendly on Bartleby.com with 85,000 hyperlinked cross-references—thus fulfilling their goal of “each word being related to its neighbors and each part to the whole.” Additionally, over 2,900 proverbs and quotations from classic and modern authors illustrate the 1,000-plus entries.
- WordSpy – This site provides information about newly cointed words, existing words that have been revived, and older words that are being used in new ways. A full definition and illustrative quotations are provided for words cited. Words can be searched alphabetically, by tag and by date as well as the standard word search. The site even includes a word blog.