Evaluating Resources Tips on evaluating quality and content
East Asia and the Pacific Statistical Resources
- Asia Regional Information Center – Asian Regional Integration Center tracks regional cooperation and integration in Asia and the Pacific region.
- China data online / All China Marketing Research Co., Ltd. – Provides economic statistics on China, arranged by regions and categories, with some data back to 1949. Includes monthly and yearly reports on China’s macroeconomic development, statistical databases about China’s population and economy at the county and city level, and financial indicators of more than 568 industrial branches. Also includes statistical yearbooks, census data, industrial and marketing surveys, and an atlas of China. China Data Online is a collaborative effort between the University of Michigan’s China Data Center and All China Market Research Co., Ltd.
- Economic & social statistics / Asian Development Bank. – Contains economic and social statistics for all ADB member countries, in regional and country tables. Downloadable in PDF and XLS formats.
General Statistical References
- United States Census Bureu – Gateway to U.S. Census Information on your community, population and housing facts, census bureau products, maps, and industry and business facts.
- America’s Place in the World – Survey data on perception of threats, foreign policy priorities, power relationships, etc.
- Energy Information Administration (U.S.) – Statistics, domestic and international forecasts for all major energy sources.
- FAOSTAT – FAOSTAT provides time-series and cross sectional data relating to food and agriculture for some 200 countries. The national version of FAOSTAT, CountrySTAT, is being developed and implemented in a number of target countries, primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. It will offer a two-way data exchange facility between countries and FAO as well as a facility to store data at the national and sub-national levels.
- globalEDGE™ – Created by the International Business Center at Michigan State University (IBC), globalEDGE™ is a knowledge web-portal that connects international business professionals worldwide to a wealth of information, insights, and learning resources on global business activities. Partially funded by a U.S. Department of Education Title VI B grant, globalEDGE™ is your source for global business knowledge.
- Internet World Stats: Usage and Population Statistics – CLICK on each world region name for detailed regional usage information.
- International Food Policy Research Institute – Many Statistical databases and indicators related to food and food security issues.
- International Monetary Fund – The IMF publishes a range of time series data on IMF lending, exchange rates and other economic and financial indicators. Manuals, guides, and other material on statistical practices at the IMF, in member countries, and of the statistical community at large are also available.
- Labor Statistics from the International Labour Organization – Comprehensive labour statistics for evidence-based policy making
- Most/Least Corrupt Countries in the World – Rankings of the most and least corrupt countries in the world
- OECD in Figures (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) – OECD in Figures contains key data on OECD countries, ranging from economic growth and employment to energy, trade and migration. Map with rankings for 2018
- Statistical Abstract of the United States – The Statistical Abstract is the official U.S. Government summary of statistics and provides over 1,400 tables of benchmark measures on the demographic, housing, social, political, and economic condition of the United States.
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2019 – The Review has grown from a seven-page document distributed among BP employees in 1951 into one of the most widely respected and authoritative documents in the field of energy economics. Professionals in the media, academia, world governments and energy companies tell us they value the Review as a comprehensive and reliable reference. It now has a circulation of 60,000 printed copies delivered worldwide. The online version has been available since 1996. This online edition contains all the charts and tables found in the printed edition, plus a number of extras including: Historical data from 1965 in Excel for many sections and additional data for natural gas, coal, hydroelectricity, nuclear energy and renewables. In addition to viewing, data from the website can be downloaded and charted using the charting tool.
- UNCTAD Handbook of Statistics On-line – UNCTAD Handbook of Statistics provides the statistical data essential for the analysis of the world trade, investment, international financial flows and development. This database provides the opportunity to disseminate the economic, demographic and social series which serve as a fundamental support for UNCTAD´s research tasks, intergovernmental dialogue, and technical assistance.
- UNCTAD Trade and Development Index (TDI) – “The trade and development index is an attempt by the UNCTAD secretariat to capture the complex interaction between trade and development and, in the process, to monitor the trade and development performance of countries… The TDI is designed as a mechanism for monitoring the trade and development performance of countries, a diagnostic device to identify factors affecting such performance, and a policy tool to help stimulate and promote national and international policies and actions.” The estimates and corresponding ranking of the Trade and Development Index (TDI) for the whole sample of 110 countries are shown in the following table.
- U.N. Data – This site allows anyone to access the United Nations Data Access System. This online, easy-to-use database was created by the UN in order to provide current, relevant, and reliable statistics to the whole world, for free. Using UN Data, you can access statistical information on populations, demographics, trade, commodities, agriculture, employment, the environment, industry, education, tourism, and much more. Provides data on Key Global Indicators, Millennium Development, Goals Indicators, Gender Statistics and many other stats.
- U.S. Federal Government Statistics – A one-stop shopping for U.S. Federal Government statistics.
- World Bank Development Data and Statistics – As part of the international statistical system, the Data Group works with other organizations on new statistical methods, data collection activities, and statistical capacity-building programs. World Bank AidFlows – Aidflows is a new tool to visualize how much development aid is provided and received around the world. Users can select individual donor countries (providing the aid) and beneficiary countries (receiving the aid) to track the sources and uses of aid funding.