Mr. Anu Anwar joined the Daniel K. Inouye Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies (DKI APCSS) in July 2019. His area of research interests covers Asian geopolitics, US-China strategic rivalry, Belt and Road Initiative, Free and Open Indo Pacific Strategy. Mr. Anwar also closely follow China’s engagement with South and Southeast Asian countries.
He is currently an Affiliate Scholar at East-West Center, Hawaii – where his research project highlights ‘The role of Belt and Road Initiative vs. Indo- Pacific Strategy for bridging the infrastructural deficit in South Asia.’ He is also a Visiting Scholar at the University of Tokyo’s Institute of Advanced Studies for Asia and Young Leader Fellow at the Pacific Forum. Prior to arriving at DKI APCSS, Mr. Anwar was working at Prime Minister’s Office in Bangladesh where he focused public sector innovation and good governance. He was also a Visiting Fellow at Kobe Gakuin University in Japan and a member of the Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations.
His work has appeared at ‘East Asia Forum,’ ‘The Diplomat,’ ‘South China Morning Post,’ ‘The Interpreter,’ ‘Issues and Insights,’’ among other publications. Mr. Anwar received two Masters Degrees from Tsinghua University and the University of Dhaka.
Mr. Anwar is an avid soccer player, reader and world traveler. He traveled around 50 countries, including experience of living and extensive traveling in China. He speaks English, Chinese, Hindi, and Bengali.
Mr. Anwar’s Publications:
- Commentary: How the US should respond to Xi’s assertive China
- RSIS Commentary — Belt and Road Initiative: Why China Pursues It
- How China is using tourists to realise its geopolitical goals
- Why the US and its allies should keep ASEAN at the centre
- How Bangladesh is Benefiting from the China-India Rivalry, Washington DC, USA: The Diplomat, July 12, 2019
- “Is Bangladesh Winning in the USA-China Trade War”, Washington DC, USA: The Diplomat, June 14, 2019
- “China’s Growing Engagement in South Asia: Challenges for the USA”, Hawaii, USA.: Issue & Insight, Pacific Forum, June 2019
- “What does Bangladesh Gains from the US-China Trade War?” Dhaka, Bangladesh: The Daily Star, June 19, 2019
- “Belt and Road Initiative and South Asian Geopolitics: Bangladesh Factor”, Hongkong, PRC: Asia Times, March 4th, 2019
- “How Belt and Road Initiative poses risks to 21st-century geopolitical landscape,” Hongkong, PRC: Asia Times, January 14th, 2019
- “Rising China is changing Europe’s geopolitical landscapes,” Hongkong, PRC: Asia Times, December 19th, 2018
- “Will Xi’s China Dream lead to a Thucydides Trap?” Hongkong, PRC: Asia Times, October 17th, 2018
- “How China could respond a Trade War heats up?” Hongkong, PRC: Asia Times, October 2nd, 2018
- “Facing a trade war and bumps along the belt and road, China may have to revisit the cost of its grand plan,” Hongkong, PRC: South China Morning Post, September 10th, 2018.