Dr. Benjamin J. Ryan joined the Daniel K. Inouye Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies (APCSS), Honolulu, U.S., in August 2017. His areas of focus at APCSS are community resilience, global health, regional disaster coordination and humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HADR).
Dr. Ryan has led workshops, training, lectures and activities in his areas of focus across the Indo-Pacific, Europe and North America. This includes engagement with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on HADR, responding to natural disasters and disease outbreaks (including Ebola and Dengue), leading health sector preparations for the G20 Finance Ministers meetings held in Australia, managing projects in Australian Indigenous communities and facilitating delivery of health services to asylum seekers. He has worked at local, state, federal and executive levels of government in Australia.
He has also collaborated with researchers in Australia and Japan to improve evacuation centre standards for vulnerable groups and actively supports the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction Global Education and Training Institute (UNISDR-GETI) efforts to implement the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030.
Dr. Ryan completed a PhD at James Cook University, Australia, where he developed strategies for reducing the impact of disasters on people with noncommunicable diseases. He has completed a Master’s in Public Health at the University of Wollongong, Australia, and a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health at Griffith University, Australia, where he received an award for academic excellence.
Dr. Ryan has published numerous peer-reviewed articles, guidelines, a textbook chapter and conducted media interviews related to resilience, global health, disaster coordination and HADR.
Dr. Ryan’s Publications
- DKI APCSS and Pacific Disaster Center propose a systematic methodology to rank needs of people with life threatening conditions and chronic diseases before, during and after a disaster
- Dr. Ryan discusses the need to integrate the private sector into international disaster response
- The Critical Role of Crisis Resilience in Building and Sustaining Political, Economic and Social Stability
- Faculty addresses HADR rationale in Indo-Pacific
- Prof. Benjamin Ryan co-authors new paper on reducing mortality from non-communicable diseases post disaster