Can the Pacific Island Games be a Positive Influence to Bring Pacific Island Nations Together to Affect Positive Change Regionally?
- Personal relationships centered on mutual respect and compassion are key to engagement within the Pacific Island Nations.
- It is possible to unify people in the achievement of a common goal while still respecting a nations individual culture, customs, and sovereignty.
- The unique culture of the Pacific Island Nations provides a blueprint for others to engage productively on highly sensitive issues.
- Sports and competition are the modern day expression of the Pacific Islander’s Warrior culture.
- Mikel Resnick,
- North Korea’s problems can provide an opportunity for security cooperation between the two great powers in the midst of strategic competition.
- Many security experts in the West tend to agree that there are four flashpoints where the United States and China may conflict militarily, which are the South China Sea, East China Sea, Taiwan Strait, and the Korean Peninsula.
- Chinese analysts do not agree on where a massive military conflict is most likely to occur between the United States and China.
- Sungmin Cho,
- The term “leader” or “leadership” have taken on many symbols and definitions throughout history.
- Several descriptions of what makes for effective leadership have gained more favor than others. Among the more widely accepted factors are traits, behavior, information processing, relationships and follower perceptions (Kets de Vries, 2004).
- In this paper, we examine two types of organizations; those in normal-mode that predominantly pursue a linear path, and those in crisis-ready-mode that experience a greater degree of non-linear events.
- Deon K. Canyon,
- Significant developments of 2019 included attacks in Pulwama, Kashmir; Christchurch, New Zealand; the Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka; and shootings in El Paso and at Naval Air Station Pensacola in the United States.
- Progress continues to be made in counter-terrorism (CT). In 2019, the number of attacks in the region continued to decline; numerous terrorist leaders were eliminated; international cooperation advanced; and several countries invested in ‘soft’ CT, including reintegration programs and negotiations.
- Looking ahead, terrorism may reignite in reaction to sensitive political issues in the region, including rising Hindu nationalism in India; China’s policies in Xinjiang; and the Rohingya issue in Myanmar and Bangladesh.
- Other notable concerns for the future include foreign fighters; ‘home-grown’ cells and lone-actors; growing right-wing terrorism; terrorist activities in cyberspace; and potential attacks involving chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear (CBRN) materials.
- Sam Mullins,
- 19 - 2018
- 18 - 2017